There is no denying that we live in a world where more emphasis is placed on appearance than ever before. If you are less than impressed with the appearance of your teeth, you certainly aren’t alone.
A natural and beautiful smile is often believed to be the hallmark of attractiveness and success, but few people have a smile that they love. Thanks to cosmetic dentistry, making improvements to your smile is now easier than ever before, and an increasing number of patients are now reaping the benefits of increased confidence and self-esteem thanks to their new, more attractive smiles.
Porcelain veneers are a highly popular and successful cosmetic dentistry option, but they are not necessarily the best choice for every patient.
Here is our guide to what you need to know about porcelain veneers, including whether or not you may be a suitable candidate for this transformative procedure.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are a set of thin, shell-like coverings that sit on the outside of your teeth, covering the natural enamel. Each set is custom-designed so that the coverings are the right shape, size and color to give you a very natural-looking, beautiful smile.
How Are Porcelain Veneers Fitted?
The procedure to fit porcelain veneers is straightforward and minimally invasive. Nevertheless, you will be provided with a local anesthetic which means that you will not feel any discomfort.
To fit the veneers, it is necessary to file down some of the natural enamel on the outside of the teeth. This will ensure that the new veneers fit flush to your teeth and will not appear unnaturally thick. However, it is essential to understand that enamel does not grow back, and so once your teeth have been filed, you will always require dental veneers. Once the filing is complete, each veneer will be individually applied, secured with a dental adhesive that is then hardened using a special curing light.
What Cosmetic Problems Can Dental Veneers Address?
Porcelain veneers can address a number of different cosmetic problems, including:
- External discoloration
- Internal discoloration (such as from decay)
- Mildly crooked teeth
- Teeth that have small gaps between them
- Teeth that are not uniform in height
Am I A Good Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are suitable for the majority of patients. Nevertheless, there are specific criteria that you may need to meet in order to be approved for this popular cosmetic dentistry procedure. Good candidates for porcelain veneers generally have:
- Minor Cosmetic Issues with their Teeth. Veneers offer the most natural for of correction for small problems such as cracks, chips or staining.
- Stubborn Discoloration or Staining. Teeth whitening is very successful, but it cannot always remove very dark or stubborn staining. Veneers cover the discoloration, allowing every patient to achieve a bright, white smile.
- Sufficient Tooth Enamel. Although the process to fit veneers requires some of the enamel to be removed, you must still have sufficient enamel underneath to provide a secure base for them to be fitted to.
- No Issues with Bruxism. Bruxism is a condition in which the patient clenches or grinds their teeth. However, this can cause damage to dental veneers. Similar habits that are not good for veneers include nail biting, ice chewing or using your teeth as tools (such as for opening bottles).
- Minor Misalignment Problems. Porcelain veneers can correct mildly crooked teeth, but severe misalignment problems can mean that undue pressure is placed on your teeth, and subsequently your veneers, causing them to fracture.
- Generally Good Oral Health. You will need to have any restorative work, such as cavity fillings or dental crowns before beginning any cosmetic treatment. You will also need to be committed to caring for your new veneers by following a fantastic daily oral care routine.
Schedule An Appointment With Lomita Torrance Dental Office, Torrance
We value your trust in us as part of your family’s total healthcare team and look forward to getting to know each of you as the wonderfully unique individual that you are. Each one of us loves what we do and we believe at Lomita Torrance Dental Office that it shows in the quality of our work and our patient interactions and it is one of the reasons why Lomita Torrance Dental Office is the clear choice for the dental patients in the surrounding neighborhood.
We hope that each of our patient has a happy and healthy smile makeover and that means protecting your teeth and your oral health. We care for your smile and to have a detailed understanding regarding your oral care, you can always schedule a consultation with our dental hygienist at 23520 Crenshaw Boulevard Torrance, CA 90505 or by calling us at (424) 201-2885.
Like this article? Be sure to share this with your family and friends through Facebook and Twitter!