A Note About Sterilization and Infection Control
At Lomita Torrance Dental, our patients and staff members’ safety are top priority. For this reason, we strictly follow the guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), OSHA, the Dental Board of California (DPA Section 1680dd) regarding:
- Infection control
- Sterilization procedures
- Weekly testing of sterilization equipment
- Instrument storage
- Personal protective equipment such as masks, gloves, and eyewear
- Barrier techniques including disinfection of hard surfaces
- Water line cleaning
- Storage and disposal of sharps and medical/hazardous waste
We’d like to describe just a few of the precautions we follow in our practice in terms of infection control:
- All dental staff involved in patient care scrub their hands before each and every patient and use appropriate protective garb such as gloves, masks, gowns, and eyewear.
- A new set of gloves are used for each patient.
- Before you enter the examining room, all surfaces, such as the dental chair, instrument tray, dental light, drawer handles. and countertops, have been cleaned and decontaminated.
- Non-disposable dental instruments are cleaned and sterilized between patients.
- We sterilize instruments using an autoclave that involves steam under pressure.
- Disposable items like needles or gauze are placed in special bags or containers for special, monitored disposal.
Your well-being is important to us which is why we follow stringent infection control procedures and comply with all state regulations for the protection of patients.