How can I prevent gum disease and periodontal disease?
Periodontal disease is a group of diseases that affect the tissues that support and anchor the teeth. Left untreated, periodontal disease results in the destruction of the gums, alveolar bone (the part of the jaws where the teeth arise), and the outer layer of the tooth root. It has been linked to other diseases including strokes, heart attacks, diabetes, and cancer. Follow these steps to help prevent gum disease:
- Brush your teeth twice daily using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss every day.
- Visit Lomita-Torrance Dental twice a year for cleanings and examinations.
- Talk to your dental hygienist about good brushing and flossing technique.
- Eat a nutritious diet full of healthy foods including plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to keep your immune system in great shape.
- If you smoke, quit. Talk to us if you need help or support.
If you are showing signs of gum and periodontal disease (red, inflamed, or bleeding gums), please call today to schedule an appointment with our periodontist, Dr. Daniel Teboul.